Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is now a good time to upgrade my SSD?

Lance Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by fredrogers View Post
    Is it a gaming laptop? Look up the specs of your laptop. Yeah I don't suggest any external hard drive as load times are much slower than internal drives. Anything external still has to do more process then and internal drives.
    I looked it up. It supports only one, and it has no 2.5 hdd slot unfortunately..

Warrant Officer 1
    There is no extra "processing" in an external drive,
    why most old external drives are usually slower is due to the bottleneck of the connection interface, for example, if you were using a USB 2.0 connection to your drive it will be giving you max speeds of 480mpps at max. Whereas USB 3 supports 5gbps, 3.1 supports 10gbps and thunderbolt 3 a whopping 40gbps.
    These transfer rates are faster than even the most high-end PCIe SSD's out there, so the bottleneck now would be either the drives speed or the electronic interface between the drive and the cable which is relatively small about 10%.

So, in a nutshell, an external drive will be almost just as fast as an internal one, given that it is not made by some cheap company that cheaped out on the interface.

Lance Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by Embers View Post
    There is no extra "processing" in an external drive,
    why most old external drives are usually slower is due to the bottleneck of the connection interface, for example, if you were using a USB 2.0 connection to your drive it will be giving you max speeds of 480mpps at max. Whereas USB 3 supports 5gbps, 3.1 supports 10gbps and thunderbolt 3 a whopping 40gbps.
    These transfer rates are faster than even the most high-end PCIe SSD's out there, so the bottleneck now would be either the drives speed or the electronic interface between the drive and the cable which is relatively small about 10%.

So, in a nutshell, an external drive will be almost just as fast as an internal one, given that it is not made by some cheap company that cheaped out on the interface.
    That is pretty educating. But If I am using the thunderbolt that means I can only have one extended monitor. So I would probably stick with internal upgrade. Really good info tho. Thank you

Warrant Officer 1
    You can still use your usb3.1 port if you have one and the speeds will be fast

Is now a good time to upgrade my SSD? fredrogers's Avatar
    In my opinion I would just get a bigger M.2, using any port on a pc requires the use of another component on the mother board to transfer data to your processor, where as the M.2 uses the direct PCi express lane to your processor and you will get the correct transfer speed. But that's just me, I have a M.2 and 5 other ssd and one mechanical and Im on a 1905x Threadripper with 32GB DDR4 dominator Ram @3200 MHZ. and all I can say it screams cause it doesn't have to use any other componets on the pc to run.
    TeamSpeak Send Private Message Hardware ID Reset Open Live Support Purchase Hardware ID Tokens AimJunkies Facebook AimJunkies Twitter AimJunkies YouTube Loader Download Image Map